John A. DeVault, III received his undergraduate and law degrees from the University of Florida, where he was a member of Florida Blue Key, executive editor of the Law Review, and a member of the moot court team. Following a clerkship with the United States District Court, he joined the firm, where he has since practiced. He served as president of The Florida Bar from 1995 to 1996.
DeVault served six years as a member of the Board of Governors of The Florida Bar and the House of Delegates of the American Bar Association. He is past chair of the Trial Lawyers Section, a founding master of the Chester Bedell Inn of Court, and Florida Bar Board Certified in Civil Trial and Business Litigation.
Area Of Practice
- Trial and Appeal of Complex Commercial Litigation
- Legal Malpractice Defense
- Florida Supreme Court
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th, 6th, 11th, and Federal Circuits
- U.S. District Courts, Northern, Middle, and Southern Districts of Florida
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America (1987-present) in the following practice areas: Bet-the-Company Litigation | Commercial Litigation | Criminal Defense: White-Collar | Legal Malpractice Law – Defendants | Litigation – Environmental | Litigation – Intellectual Property | Litigation – Land Use and Zoning | Litigation – Securities
- Chambers USA America’s Leading Business Lawyers (2003-present)
- Florida Trend’s Legal Elite (2005-present)
- Florida Super Lawyers (Florida Top 10: 2006-2008, 2011, 2015-2018 | Florida Top 100: 2009, 2010, 2012-2022 | Jacksonville Top 25: 2018-2020)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, International Society of Barristers
- University of Florida College of Law, J.D.
(Member of Moot Court team, Member of Florida Blue Key; University of Florida Law Review, Executive Editor)
- University of Florida, B.S.
Past Employment Positions
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida, Law Clerk, Hon. William A. McRae, Jr.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- The Florida Bar, President (1995-1996) President-Elect (1994-1995) Board of Governors (1990-1996)
- American Bar Association, House of Delegates (1994-2000)
- The Florida Bar, Trial Lawyers Section, Chair (1988-1989)
- The Florida Bar Commission on Lawyer Professionalism
- Chester Bedell Inn of Court, Founding Master of the Bench
- International Society of Barristers
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida, Advisory Committee on Rules, Chair (1990-1993)
- Federal Judicial Nominating Commission of Florida (1997-2000)
Learn more about Michael Lockamy, another Bedell Firm lawyer John A. DeVault, III works with.